Monday, September 7, 2026

Book Review: Honor Flight: Celebrating America's Veterans

 Honor Flight: Celebrating America's Veterans by Jeff Gottesfeld, illustrated by Matt Tavares, Candlewick Press, Somerville, Massachusetts, 2026.

Thi is a b ook about something I had never heard of, Honor Flights.  These are flights where they take former service men and women to sites where they served.  This includes "Kilroy, Squid G.I. Joe, Airman, Jarhead, WAC or WAVE."  The flight took the veterans to many Washington D.C. memorial sights where they were honored.  This included the Iwo Jima Memorial, Viet Nam War Memorial, Military Women Memorial, WWII Memorial, Korean War Memorial.  But the most important honor was when they flew home and were greeted at the Airport, something that many of the veterans had missed due to conflict over the Viet Nam War.  At the end of the flight they were given letters from school children thanking them for their service.  I think this is an important book geared to children.



No comments:

Post a Comment