Saturday, October 13, 2012

Camp Hollow, Hyrum, Utah: When History Changes



In my youth, Camp Hollow was almost a sacred place, where the first year in Hyrum, the pioneers had built dug outs into the hill the side of the hill to ward off the cold.  School field trips took us there to hear the stories of these pioneers.There was a place to picnic, but truthfully it was underused.





Then one summer that history changed.  This must have been 1977.  A contractor decided to develop the property, the monument was moved, and the story changed to anywhere along the ridge, which runs a mile or so, was the original spot, we're not sure exactly where.  The monument was moved to the rodeo grounds park, about a half mile away.  No trees or picnic table; but park grass, a playground and tennis courts.

3 comments:

  1. Comment from Leeanne Nielsen Larsen, facebook
    Markers and Monuments Database

    Camp Hollow (2)

    (Monument A) CAMP HOLLOW On April 6, 1860 the first pioneers of Hyrum encamped on this stream, they lived in wagon boxes, shelters dug into the banks, tilled and planted about one hundred acres of virgin soil. Later in the fall, following the advice of Apostle Ezra Taft Benson, they moved about one mile south west, built a fort and named the place Hyrum in honor of the beloved brother of the prophet Joseph Smith, both of whom were martyred at Carthage, Illinois June 27, 1844. HEADS OF FAMILIES Ira Allen Niels B. Nielsen Hugh Parks Andrew A. Anderson Thomas Williams George Nielsen Calvin Bingham Christopher Olsen Andrew A. Allen Andrew Nielsen Alonzo Bingham Soren Neilsen Alva Benson Adam Smith Hans Monsen Oliver McBride William Williams Noah Brimhall David Osborn Jens Jensen Sr. Jonas Halversen Hans E. Nielsen David Parks Rasmus Jensen ERECTED 1962 (Monument B: Plaque on post, 4' H, metal) HISTORY OF CAMP HOLLOW 125 YEARS LATER In March 1860 a group of pioneers left Cedar City to settle in Cache Valley. They explored the valley and decided to make a settlement about 5 miles east of Old Fort Wellsville, called Camp Hollow. These pioneers led by Ira Allen, arrived on April 8, 1860. At first they lived in wagon boxes or tents. Those that didn't have these, built 13 dugouts, holes in ground with logs at west end for wall. Larger logs were placed over top with thick covering over the branches. The settlers planted 100 acres of corn, wheat, oats and barley for winter. More families joined them and they decided they needed a townsite with more water and with higher and better drained land. In the fall of 1860 Camp Hollow was deserted. Monument moved by Hyrum Youth Council to northwest corner of Hyrum East Park

    Site Information
    Location: 600 E Park Drive
    HYRUM
    CACHE County

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen Flaherty James: Camp Hollow is on 600 east and about 400 north. They have a marker there. For a while the marker was on the northwest corner of the park by the Rodeo grounds. A few years ago they made a small picnic area back where it really was. It is on that lower road into Hyrum that comes off at an angle.
    It isn't on Park Drive anymore. That is the rodeo ground address.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The above posts are from Facebook. It would appear Camp Hollow was restored closer to the original location

    ReplyDelete