Thursday, May 1, 2014

Book Review: Exploring History through Simple Recipes: Civil War Cooking: The Union

Exploring History through Simple Recipes: Civil War Cooking: The Union
By: Susan Dosier, Blue Earth Books, Mankato, Minnesota, 2000
This is a bit different take on history.  I must admit, I have not yet tried any recipes, but I have copied a couple.  I want Sheri to make me some Johnny cakes, like a pancake with cornbread.  I also copied one of fried apples and for ld-fashioned macaroni and cheese.  Some of the others are pretty common like navy bean soup and cherry cobbler.  The accompanying text talks about some of the deprivations.  That in the far South foraging was common, taking fruits and vegetables and animals and eggs from the local population.  It also talks about hard tack, which was often wormy.  Even so, when you got hungry enough it was much sought after.  Rations usually tended to pork which could be salted and lasted longer than beef.  However, beef was often craved.  The Union camps often had sutlers attached, who may transport items some distance and then their prices would reflect this.  However you could supplement your rations with what would be available from these traveling stores. 
I am excited to try some of these recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment