Friday, May 27, 2016

Native American Biography: Cheyenne Peace and War Leaders the 1860s Conflicts

Lean Bear was a peace leader of the Cheyenne, unlike his brother Bull Bear.  Lean Bear attended a peace meeting with President Lincoln in 1863 with other Native American Peace leaders.  The next year troops attacked a group of Cheyenne who had stolen three cows.  Lieutenant George Eayre was looking for a fight and determined to attack the next Cheyenne he saw.  As they approached Lean Bear's camp, Lean Bear and other leaders rode to meet them to offer peace.  The soldiers went into battle formation and attacked.  Lean Bear was shot off his horse, and then again on the ground.  He held the peace papers signed by President Lincoln in his hand, a peace medal around his neck.
Bull Bear was one of the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers.  This is a police group for the Cheyenne, but also they fought the Americans.  Bull Bear became more violent after his brother's death.  He was forced to sign several treaties, but also returned for the next fight.  He fought in the Hancock Campaign which sought to remove all Indians from Kansas, the Sheridan Campaign in Colorado, and finally the Red River Campaign.  He finally retired to the Cheyenne Reservation.
Roman Nose was a Southern Cheyenne leader.  He was determined to stop the railroad.  He often attacked workers.  He had been given a special war bonnet by a medicine man.  The bonnet protected him from bullets and arrows.  Major George A. Forsyth and a group of 50 special scouts were sent to stop him.  The night before battle Roman Nose ate food in a manner against the medicine of the bonnet.  A purification ceremony was needed.  However when the fighting started he rushed in and was killed by a rain of bullets.
Tall Bull was the noted leader of the Cheyenne Dog Soldiers.  He battled the American soldiers at Beecher Island where Roman Nose died.  The massacre of Black Kettle and his camp effected him, so his moved his own camp to the Republican River where his camp was attacked.  He was killed a few months later near Summit River, and his wife and daughter taken prisoner.  

No comments:

Post a Comment